5.19.2008

talking animals. soccer loving princes. and a midget playing an ancient midget.

There are only a few talking animals in History that I truly respect. Mr Ed for his smart witty retorts. Simba, for well...being the king. And lastly...Cooler from the pound puppies for being a truly courageous leader. Everyone else...falls short. So, when I sat down in my seat for yet another rendition of "these animals can talk / are you a Christian" aka Narnia: Prince Caspian you could only imagine what was going through my mind. Yet, I had to see it...b/c there was magic and stuff-my one weakness. But what I got, despite my belief, was quite stimulating.

I have a thing about movie audiences. Every city Ive lived in has a different type of audience. NYs are skeptical and hard to impress. Bostonians are rowdy idiots that talk to the screen and visually show their mental frustration. And Chicagoans...well, they are like children. They laugh when the movies says laugh. They clap when the movie says clap. Its all really kinda sad. But when I got pass the fact that I was surrounded by bumbling movie zombies, I was able to truly enjoy this fantasy flick about some Brits, the Portuguese, midgets and well....faith I guess.

The plot is based on a legend, when Narnia apparently doesn't exist anymore, and humans have wiped out the Narnians so badly that they are but a myth. That is until the young Prince Caspian escapes his treacherous Portuguese Uncle and calls upon the help of those four Brit kids that were in the first movie. Only 2 out of 4 can truly act, but I'll let you be the judge of which ones. As for the Portugese bad guys...my movie partner, Laila and I came to that conclusion after the Caspian Character said his first line and we looked as each other with the "what the f*ck did he just say" eyes. And I knew I would have to concentrate to under stand his dialect, so entrenched in passion and love of soccer (foot ball) that each word sounds as if it were in some cheesy soap opera. The little midget gnome was from Nip/Tuck ... which I think is marvelous. I hope he is around for the remake of the Wizard of Oz (obviously going to happen). There were talking badgers and mice and special effects up the wazoo. Even the trees were getting down. All very entertaining. It made the almost 3 hour movie literally fly bye.

And so, with the help of the Brits, Caspian fights his treacherous Uncle and his peeps. There are some pretty decent battle scenes and a good one on one sword match. But I have to ask Disney how exactly they were able to attain a PG13 rating. I mean...people/imaginary things were dieing and/or getting killed. When a head falls off of a man and bounces on the ground below...who exactly do you sell that has not violent? Also...this Narnia was a bit more forthcoming with its religious references. They should've just gave the lion a sign that said, I AM JESUS and had him quote bible scriptures the entir movie. And I'm pretty sure I saw Noah right at the end. Miracles. Faith. Testing of Faith. Its all there balled up into a kids fairytale.

So all in all, good flick. I was pleasantly surprised. If your into this sort of thing. I would suggest you see it. Even if your note, there is some hot centaur (half horse, half human) booty...you just got to see. What they were missing however.....were unicorns.

Whap, whap. i guess they still have one more chance, right?

1 comment:

L said...

ahhahaha...

i also gave you the "wtf are these people laughing at" eyes and "wtf, im only laughing cause these people are laughing at non funny things" laugh.