8.23.2008

one love.


"He still has to mature...I would love him to show more respect for his competitors. That's not the way we perceive being a champion. But he will learn in time. He should shake hands with his competitors and not ignore them. He'll learn that sooner or later. But (he's) a great athlete, of course....That's not the way we perceive being a champion."
- Jaques Rogg 
(International Olympic Comette Chief) on Usain Bolts after victory lack of class.





First things first....Usain Bolt is the fastest man in the world. He broke three world records. He is...a god (though not the Worlds Greatest Athlete [the Decathlon]...omg, meet my new life goal).

But anyway, the genius bloggers at yesbutnobutyes brought this to my attention, and I do understand where Jaques Rogg is going with his statement. A little composure and "well done" hand shakes would've been nice. But is it really that big of a deal that you have to denounce anOlympic gold medalist not even a day after he won? Is it weighing that heavy on your (and the Olympic committees') heart?

I find it interesting that the antics of the US men's gymnastic team when they won bronze last week, still has not hit the mainstream media, and probably wont...ever. I didnt write a blog about it, but in summation, they were all acting like hoodlums. "This is how we roll." "I rock the US of A on my chest." I was embarrassed for them. But some how, Usain's barefoot victory lap and ragga sway earned him a seat on the Olympic naughty list?

While the comment section at yesbutnobutyes was plagued with "isnt there bigger problems/you stupid americans dont get it" responses, I find it interesting that they picked the 22 yr old Jamaican kid to make an example out of. Why him? Why did this particular athlete rouse your emotions? And was it really that bad or just something you aren't use to?

Meanwhile, journalist and activist are literally disappearing in China.

Im just saying.



P.S. I cant wait to bring this up at my barbershop....they are all Jamaican. And they are going to have a field day with this.

No comments: