8.08.2008

war. what is it good for?

An HBO miniseries...that's what.

I guess Ive held out for long enough. I have a new HBO addiction. Its called Generation Kill. Originally a book and then made a movie (i think), HBO has picked up this project and made it into a 7 part mini series. It is produced by the same guy who made The Wire...so I tuned in immediately for the first episode...3 weeks ago. Lol, Im a little late with this review. But I do have a reason.

The plot is simple. The lives and times 
of a current day Marine (not to be confused for the army...whooorah!) in Iraq. I will not pretend to know anything about soldiers or their daily strife over in a war that is almost unanimously and completely hated. But what I do know, is that this series portrays the marines in a much more personal light than war movies and shows of the past. Where as Mel Gibson starred war movies speak on honor/love of country/bravery and loss....Generation Kill breaks light on the actual mentality of the soldiers fighting in the war today. Their individual backgrounds. Their individual cultures. Their individual shortcomings. And how they all mesh together to form a single unit of men in a foreign country fighting for a belief. We follow the squadron from mission to mission, noting their frustrations, successes, failures, losses and mental stability.

Here is the situation. I do like the show. But I am not sure I like the show for the right reasons. Its is riddled with racist, sexist and homophobic commentary. The soldiers vary in personalities but for the most part they are all "brahs" and "dudes." There is clear message of "leaders" and "followers" and the mayhem that ensues when one does not think for themselves but merely follows orders. The same orders that have worked for generations and have saved thousands of young boys lives. A catch 22, I suppose. But here's the problem. I dont know if I like the show for its quality and meaty substance, or if I am only drawn to it due to its strung together acts/sayings of racism, bigotry and intolerance. You know....the things that wouldn't (shouldn't) be a
cceptable in the everyday work place. But hey...if your a bunch of brahs....in the middle of a dessert....its cool....and funny. 

I dont know guys. It like watching a snuff film. I am watching people in their lowest denominator...struggling, fighting and forming a bizarre brotherhood based on inadequacy and propaganda. In so many ways...these guys are better than me as a person. But in so many ways they are not. The show basically outlines, how absolutely insane you have to be to be a marine. Or maybe, its....how crazy the Marines make you. 

Its a head trip. I suggest you watch it, simply to see what I am talking about. 
Ok...thats it. 

No comments: