7.01.2008

quiet.

the dreaded line. 

"you're so quiet."

I was trying to leave at 5pm on the dot today. I had an appointment (in my mind) to keep and a train to catch. And as I rounded the corner I ran into an AE. Now she seems to be a very nice woman, but she is what I call a "talker" . And she was...well talking to the other talker of the office. 

To be a talker you must possess the uncanny ablity to talk about anything at moments notice. There needs to be a storage bank of stories, riddles and life lessons attached to the back of your head. It is a powerful asset. Infact, when I look at talkers in action I am usually placed in a state of awe. It is definitely a skill set not for the faint at heart. I personally believe that the gift should earn you automatic entrance into the X-Men. But that's just my opinion. 

But back to my story. I was rounding the corner and ran into the following conversation:

Talker: Hey Shaun...you leaving so soon?

Me: Yeah its 5pm, Im going to get out of here...have a nice night!

Talker: You know, since youve been here you have been super quiet

Me (in my head): What the f*ck lady?
Me: Oh, well...Ive been trying to get to know my copy writer A-Dawg

Talker: Well, A-Dawg is always in here (referring to the Talker's den/office) chit chatting up a storm.

Me (in my head): And.....

Talker: Whap, whap, whap.....

Me: Okay, Im going to get going....see you!


I pouted the entire walk to my train for being misunderstood. I felt like I had to defend myself. And for what? Because Im not in the midst of sharing my personal life with the office? Because Im not gossiping or reveling in your morning story times? Ive been here for 2 weeks lady. Gimme a break. I may not be a mutant who specializes in talking to anyone about anything...but I am far from shy or quite. I will never ever force myself to talk just for talking sake or to entertain the masses. I have better things to do. Like clip my toenails and mold my buggers into little Statues of Liberty. Get it? Forced convo is not my cup of tea. And perhaps talker...maybe I dont find you particularly interesting.
The age old line....Its not me, its you... (see what i did there?)

3 comments:

Kelly J said...

wow, shaun will, that really hit home with me, as that happens to me at every job ever. i always think "if only you saw me drunk."

also, i am totally envious of your job. not of your salary, or your benefits, or your city, or a-dawg. but of your toilet situation. that sounds like a little slice of toiletry heaven.

shaun. said...

best part bra. best part.


BRA

socialedisturbed. said...

LMFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a chatter box... but I'm not a talker...hopefully u see where I'm coming from. Most of the time I hate ppl...so I try to stay away... unless (like kelly) im drinking..