7.15.2008

a little satire never hurt anyone.

i remember sitting in my 11th grade Global History class reading about satire and its effects on said communities. I even remember the pop quiz that caught me off gaurd (luckily it was multiple choice and I also had a much better memory back then). And I always wondered why satire was such a big deal. Political humor....ho hum...bore.

The new New Yorker cover has totally tied up all loose ends I had on this issue. Oh boy is it causing a ruccus. And the funny thing is...its just targeted to the wrong audience. Obama dressed in Muslim garb. Michelle as a black panther with a crazed afro. And they are doing the extremist fist terrorist fist pump. I see the humor in it all. Its funny. 

However, for the average liberalist stay at home mom of the tristate area...its way way over their heads. And of course Obama wouldn't find it funny. McCain could give 2 sh*ts, but he has to stand against it to be considered a human being. I think of it like this...if the political funnies like Jon Stewart or Bill Mahr did something like this, it would be expected and admired to some point. But the New Yorker....no....wha...

It all has to do with the audience. And the New Yorker's readership is not the one. Its as simple as that.

No comments: