6.26.2008

journals of a Junior AD: Part 3 "Know your role"

So, I over stepped my boundaries. There was entire day devoted to writing lines for an ad we are placing in the WSJ. Its for some big financial do-what-er-have-you-whatcha-mecal it. Literally within a minute of reading the brief I was forced to pull up wikipedia. And the sad part is after I was done with the article and had clicked every possible link on the page...I still didn't know what was going on.

But needless to say I "faked the funk" (kelly) and spent an entire day coming up with 26 lines. 26. From an Art Director. My head almost exploded with all those words .What I did was use the already layed out themes: middle, international and precise ...and I just wrote. Im talking dictionary.com/ thesaurus.com wrote. And damn it...I looked my copy writer in the eye and said..."I can do your job." And I believed it. The following morning my CD brought me into the office and said  "You Shaun, should keep your day job...which happens to be art direction here at this company." He promptly gave me an Art Direction Project, booped me on the nose and sent me skipping out to my cubicle.

Nice try right? My copy writer, whom I shall now refer to as A-Dawg, apparently had some golden lines. Go figure.

On another note...I'm in the midst of developing 2 microsites. I spent about 2 hours in the main conference room today doing some 'brainstorming/what cant we do-ing" with our designer computer guy. The AE waltzed in to lay down the law on us creative types...but there was no tension. Cause in the end, its a job. And that's what I like about this agency sofar. There are some real people. I just cant wait to find the real people who party hard. But back to the meeting....it was riveting...the entire 2 hours. I know in my heart that I was meant to do this...and you know why...because its statistically known that I cant keep interest in one thing for more than 5 minutes at a time...but this meeting...kept me so interested, that I almost popped a boner.  Boners for advertising! Anyone? Boners.....

Can you tell I'm a fresh fish to the industry? Wait until I start to get jaded like all my other blogging buddies...thats when the real Junior AD journals get started. "This is the true story of 50 strangers picked  to work in an agency....

Some Job Perks that you dont have:
- Im an Ad Agency creative, I can wear whatever the f*ck I want. One day...I will wear shorts. And you know what...I will still have a job. A-Dawg wears shorts everyday and he has bee there longer than I have,
-Summer hours. Do you guys know what that means? On Fridays...if we have no work to do...nothing pending....we get out at 1pm. BOOYAH! I dont know what type of job you have personally...but mine is the Bomb.
-I told you about the private "room" bathrooms right? They are awesome. They are lined in marble. Sound and smell proof. Its just you and your toilet. No one else. And your own personal can of Oust. And thats the future people.
-At my old job, you had to pay for sodas....not here.
-more to come.....

Im lovin it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes 1/2 day Fridays. Funnily enough you still end up sneaking out at 1:30 pm just so you don't get stuck with work that needs to be done before the EOD. If you are successful, you feel the thrill of "having left at 1:30 pm" for the rest of the weekend!
Then next week you get stuck with a crazy deadline and don't leave at 1:30 pm for the rest of the summer.