6.12.2008

work/career.

It is only 10:30 in the morning and I have eaten 5 donuts. Five. But you know what...its my bday, so I can do that if I want. My boss (soon to be ex-boss) brought them in for me knowing my unconditional love and craving for donuts with pink frosting and sprinkles. And that was kind. So, I wanted to clear the script a little. Though I spend a majority of work day perusing the Internet and posting blogs, I will miss this place. In fact, I will miss the following things about my Chicago full time job, in no particular order.


1- The people. A strange mix of frat boy/jocks, nerds, JAPs and maladjusted middle aged personas with chismo up the wazzu. I will miss that guy in accounting who clips his fingernails at work every three days (causing me to leave my desk for 5 minutes). I will miss the office scandals. I will miss my running coach who simultaneously made me into a runner and then gave me a crippling injury. I will miss the lovable angry IT guy. And I will def miss my only black Chicago friend.

2- The Haunted Men's Stall. On the 7th floor men's bathrooms, third stall to the left. No matter how well you lock the door. Halfway through you doing your business, it mysteriously opens. I like to think that a man died locked in the stall, and so he opens up the door so that no one else suffers the same fate. He's must have been retarded to die in that stall, there's like 10 thousand ways to escape, but he is still super friendly. Ill miss you haunted stall.

3- The HR perks. Sure I have spent endless hours planning and doing mindless work for all of the events we have put together. But I always come out on top. Maybe I'm coming home with a platter of left over Jimmy Johns sandwiches or 2 cases of foreign beer. Maybe I'm the first one to the actual event, so that I can get drunk before the CEO gets there. Sure, Ill go to the tasting. I have the pallet of a 2 year old, but "this is delicious, I wish they would've added something to combat the tangy flavor...but the texture is divine." Yeah, Ill miss that.

4- Crazy Bob. You are indeed the craziest person I have ever met. I cant even put you in number 1. You get your own number. You can talk about anything for hours, even if no one is listening. You are madly in love with your boss, but simultaneously hate the female kind. Everyone avoids you. But you are oblivious to it all. My secrete Bob, is that I wanted you to confront me with the same foolishness that you've used on other people in the office, so I could let you know a thing or two about yourself. But alas, we end on a good note Bob. I will miss your daily crazy.

5- Tortilla soup Wednesday. Oh man...the cafeteria on the 5th floor makes the best tortilla soups only on Wednesday. Its like they have a contingent of illegal Mexicans in the back just cooking up a storm.....oh wait, they do. They also make the bomb fresh Oatmeal raisin cookies. That's word.



But with every thing in life comes positives and negatives. I am starting my career...but I will have to readjust myself, make people like me before I show them the real me and prove myself as a young creative mind. Im not just working to work anymore. But that same job, this job...no matter how mindless it sometimes was, and no matter how bored I sometimes got, it created for me a place comfort. A weird mix of individuality, accomplishment and pride came from it. I was supporting myself in a foreign city. I felt good. Paid my bills. Lived in a city that was not home. Ill miss it, truly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy happy birthday! : )


eeeeeefuh