10.09.2008

pet shops without pets. it's art, right?


Inter-medium artist Bansky, just opened a Pet Store in the Village (NY). But like some many of his other works, this "pet store" is not just adorned with cute puppies and furry little hamsters. Instead...it is riddled with social commentary and cultural cotour (if you will). Below are a few pics....don't want to spoil anything for you (but mostly for me), so there are only a few.


It is suppose to be open until Oct 31st from 10am to mindnight. So get down there and see this sh*t.  89 7th Avenue between West 4th and Bleeker Street.

New Yorkers don’t care about art, they care about pets. So I’m exhibiting them instead. I wanted to make art that questioned our relationship with animals and the ethics and sustainability of factory farming, but it ended up as chicken nuggets singing. I took all the money I made exploiting an animal in my last show and used it to fund a new show about the exploitation of animals. If its art and you can see it from the street, I guess it could still be considered street art."

-Bansky

2 comments:

socialedisturbed. said...

is that shit in the last pic?

shaun. said...

nope, they are fish sticks.