4.11.2008

both sides of the track.

Ive been meaning to write about this for awhile now. So a new craze is taking over the blogging world. People are starting to make themed blogs (unlike this one) that relate to groups of people, stereotyping and pigeon holding them, all for the sake of comedy. Not a bad idea. And Im not judging...because I enjoy them.
But it all started with this one site. Stuff White People Like. Ive been promoting it on and off throughout this blog as like a side joke, but lets get into the nitty gritty of it. Its actually fairly accurate....more so in the early blogs when it was establishing itself. Things like "study abroad" and "outdoor performance gear":

"The main reason why white people like these clothes is that it allows them to believe that at any moment they could find themselves with a Thule rack on top of their car headed to a national park. It could be 4:00 p.m. on a Saturday when they might get a call “hey man, you know what we need to do? Kayak then camping, right now. I’m on my way to get you, there is no time to change clothes.”"

I mean...come one, that's funny. Even if you think its a bit racist...it's well written (which we all know negates racism entirely) and clever so you have to smile. "Oscar Parties" , "Gentrification", "Difficult Breakups", "Sushi", "Arrested development" , "Hating Their Parents", "Expensive Sandwiches", "Co-ed Sports" and my personal favorite...."Having Black Friends". Oh..."And Running Marathons."

But now, there are all these side sites trying to replicate the genius that is that blog. Stuff Educated Black People Like, isnt as funny. But instead tries to touch on serious social issues, especially defining the line between the educated and the uneducated. Though I must say....black people do love themselves some "Grown and Sexy Events" , it gives us a reason to "Dress Up." And face book definitely was what was up pre-2005...before anyone and everyone could join (keep in mind that BU was up there as one of the first school...I use to be on that thing every night all night).
Stuff White People Like also has a direct opponent called "Stuff Conservatives Like" which has made it their prime agenda to disprove the prior site. "Stuff Christians Like" also chimes in on the life and time of real church folk.

So, in light of all these blogs...where do we all stand? I mean, Im in between all of them I can claim at least a few things on each list. But I can also disclaim alot more. I consider myself and educated black person...but I'm all about the 1st and the 15th (Pay day B*tches!!!!!!!!!!!) but I dislike the idea of ethnic frats and sororities. I like myself a good breakfast place like white people...and love myself some Northface (but not for the reason of going outdoors). Im a christian...I believe in self awareness and the spirituality that the institution should foster. Im not into the institution itself. Im black...and I run marathons.


I mean...blog readers....who am I?
Anyone wanna for for a Martini after work tonight? If anything...I'm definitely a drunk.

No comments: