2.05.2008

miller super ad recap.



I hate to say this, but this spot did a really good job at recapping my exact thoughts and concerns about this year's super bowl ads. They were all too safe, some didn't have sense and others were simply stupid. Let's do a play by play of all the memorable ones.

-Sobe Life Water..."Thrillicous" when Lizards do the MJ thriller dance with Naomie Cammbell...wrong, wrong, wrong. And Cambell isnt even doing the dance all correctly. Ughhhh.

-If the doritos ad that promised you enough cheesiness to get you attacked by a man in a mouse costume wasnt memorable enough...perhaps the indie acuostic singer on the roof rings more of a bell. Im sorry...is that a cheese dust graphic that procedes each word? I laughed once at the giant mouse. But overall...why do either of these make me want to go buy Doritos?

- Like always...Budlight delivers a hit, with the "Giant Cheese" spot. There is something about not knowing whats going on, paired with ridiculousness, paired with wine parties. It was good enough...not great. On the other hand...."the ability" camapign (I guess you could call it that if you remember the other ones b4) worked and didnt work (in context, that is). When we saw the second one, eveyone was like, did that guy just die(cause when a flying man goes through a jet engine, he normally dies). And, well...I'm pretty sure ads aren't suppose to do that.

-G2....eh?!?!?!? Who cares....the old "drink this and you become this" equation, but done to the most boring of degrees.

- You already know how I feel about the ETrade trading baby . It is a thumbs up for me. Granted its cliche and granted it was only a few steps away from the first idea (trading is so east a baby can do it), but its still cute, no? Which is probably why I should hate it. But i dont.

-And here come the big boys...Budwieser with thier same old dramatic story with a positive outcome. And FedEx, keeping up with thier superbowl wierdness trend...thank god for Mutant Pigeons, makes me think of the good old days. Coke, way to finally let Charlie Brown win one....YAY!!!!!!

- Planters Nuts...your silly. Cashews logically do not make you attractive... unibrow woman. Planters is a food you eat, it gives you protien... its not axe for women.

- "Do You Like Popsicles?" ...lol. So well acted, and legitimantly funny, Verizon Fav 5 steps up from small little chuckle to a 30 second "I can relate" smile.

-Career builder.com, you def pushed the limit. When someones heart pops out of thier chest, you get immediate interest, but then you critterized the ish out of it, which I guess is fine, a bit silly. A little scary...the...suddeness of it all. For a second, I thought her breast implant ejected itself....but the message was there and clear. I didnt like that 70's inspired, mock office building thing at the end, but hey.....

- Bridgstone...sure, screaming animals...why not. Makes sense. But did they take into account the people who dont care about hitting animals...lol, jk. I do appreciate the turtles slow-mo scream.

- Audi...the car looks really nice. But the idea...borrowed interest.

- Dell, I get it. It's pretty. Simple, simple simple. Dell I don't get it. Everyone will love you if you buy this Red Dell? Whap whap. When my party finished seeing this spot, I particularly remember someone saying, "I hate RED". Theory already dead.

-Garmin...for such crazy basement rock band music, your spot sure was lacking. Nepoleon using your equpiment to get to his own war? Did you just call the consumer stupid? I think that's a "wee". I liked your map monster from last year (which beleive it or not, I had the same idea (diff product) a few months earlier).

-Speaking of same idea. If you check my 'portfolio' from college you will see Tide to Go Ads with a man who has a stain on his shirt at an interview. If you check this super Bowl ad, you will see the sam premis. Conclusion...someone should hire me...Im atleast a year ahead of my time...it ad terms. DDB, BBDO, Leo.....see you soon.

- Vitamin Water. I still dont get why Shaq was a jockey. Big, small...who cares at all....hahaha, I'm a poet and didnt know it, I got rhymes but dont do the time, my words sound the game, and I got game....

If i had to pick a winner from this hodgepodge of mediocrity....I choose FedEx, i mean giant carrier pigoens...come on. Plus, it reminds me of the pigeons my grandpa had when I was little.

No comments: