10.09.2007

indian, dot dot or indian, head dress.

so yesterday was Columbus Day. Yay. Coincidentally, the day before, I watched a serious 3hr docu-movie about the downfall/slow entrapment of the American Indian.

I jokingly wrote a bulletin, on that other web site saying that we should all celebrate our forefathers by "putting down an Indian today."

it was a moderately successful joke. It received a few responses, some good, some bad. But that is the way the cookie crumbles. (ever wonder where that expression comes from? Who had a cookie, and realized the many different ways it could crumble?)

Anyway. So, in light of my dead ipod, I have been becoming a morning commute book reader. And this man was talking behind me. Really loudly about his Panasonic walkman that we bought for $36, and how it had lasted for years. Meanwhile, he is clearly using the thing (its blasting 80s music) and I can tell by the tone of his voice that he is talking to no one in particular. I mean, it had a hint of crazy in it. And it was 7 am, and Chicagoans aren't exactly the most friendly of people in the morning- his convo was completely one sided...and by that, I mean no one was talking back to him.



At first, the concept was funny. Either he was talking to no one in particular about nothing, in a crowded train. Or, he found some poor soul, who was probably politely nodding and he tricked them into a full out one sided convo.

And it was amusing until he didn't stop. And then (since I cant read when people are talking to loudly and it was 7:10-10 full minutes of crazy talk) I wanted to slaughter him. Literally.

When he said his good byes- which no one responded to- I glanced out the window, and I saw an old ass man, in slimfit black jeans, with a plaid shirt and khaki army-like vest...and he was Native American.

Coincidental....? I think not.

So, I figure...I have now until Thanksgiving to see if I can take down an indian a day. But, like...not a cover your face indian, just a plain ole...rain dance indian.

No comments: