1.20.2009

Sully the Pilot.


Meet Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger, III. He is our person of the day. I didnt get a chance to talk about it before the weekend (I went to Virginia...yet some how found myself  back upnorth before the Inauguration). But as the entire world knows by now, a US Airways jet went down in the Hudson last Thursday and this dude piloted the plane safely into the water. Miraculously, all 155 passengers lived to see another day. 
Personally, I would've given my left testicle to see that plane fly over my head while I was minding my business and doing what people do on the West Side (shop and drink and shop). But hearing the instant buzz that occurred in my office and the internet "twitter" (I still hate twitter) flurry that followed was pretty entertaining too. But let's be honest here...when the airline Stewardess is telling me the proper safety procedures for crash landing in the water, I usually think of the first episode of "LOST." Everyone is f*cked. I will steal a 3 year old's life vest. And I may just end my own life as we are going down. 

This man has given me a whole new perspective. He is a former U.S. Air Force fighter pilot with over 40 years of flying experience. On his resume, he describes himself as providing "technical expertise and strategic vision and direction to improve safety and reliability in a variety of high risk industries." <<

This guy is a hero. I mean look at those inflatable door thingys...who really thought the little cartoon magazine in the back pockets of the seats were telling the truth about those. 


UPDATE: There actually were a few casualties (despite media coverage). Please pour one out for the geese nation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i work on the west side! and saw all of this at my desk.

Kelly J said...

liar.




you don't work.

Anonymous said...

hahhahaha.


oh i know thats what you wish for... that i'll never have to work.

Anonymous said...

hahhahaha.


oh i know thats what you wish for... that i'll never have to work.