6.11.2009

Art (Buffy and Logos, but really just Art).


Man, I love myself some Buffy The Vampire Slayer (the WB show). But that's not what this post is about. But maybe it should be. Anyway...a designer friend once told me when I was making my first logo, that a good logo is something that is something else. What's that got to do with this post? Again, I dont know. But Kevin Van Aelst has some funky fresh art. And I think we might know the same people. 
My color photographs consist of common artifacts and scenes from everyday life, which have been rearranged, assembled, and constructed into various forms, patterns, and illustrations. The images aim to examine the distance between the ‘big picture’ and the ‘little things’ in life—the banalities of our daily lives, and the sublime notions of identity and existance. While the depictions of information--such as an EKG, fingerprint, map or anatomical model--are unconventional, the truth and accuracy to the illustrations are just as valid as more traditional depictions. This work is about creating order where we expect to find randomness, and also hints that the minutiae all around us is capable of communicating much larger ideas.
Word up. Or up, words. 

No comments: