12.10.2007

pigeon colonies.

Every day, I wake up at the same time. I brush my teeth the same way and check the weather on the same station. I close my front gate and speed walk to my train. Along the same path in the exact same way. I stare blankly at the opposing "L" platform waiting for the same train to take me to the same place and ask myself..."Why would people need to go north to get to work?" It just never seems to never make sense at this hour. 7:30 am...everyday.I get off at the same station. And at the bottom of the stairs, am surrounded by the same people push and shoving and living on my heels. I step to the side, light a cigarette and watch the festering of pigeons that always huddle under the same over pass.

Hundreds of them. All of them pecking the wet ground for scraps. Unconscious to the world around them, they perform their routine of randomness...not missing a step. As one pecks down, the other looks up. Two flutter away, and another two take their place. A path is cleared for the brave morning soul that has forgotten the effects of the bird flu. And is filled in immediately after. They have done this before you see. Day after day. The same place and the same actions. The same thoughts and the same responses. Though they all look different and hold their own faint glimpse of individuality, to me they all are the same. Pecking. Mass. Clueless. Monotonous. Drones. Enslaved my life.

And it is this I fear. Not the reality of growing up. Not the impeding threat of failure. Not even the wickedness and fallacy of humanity.

I fear becoming just another pigeon.

No comments: