5.19.2009

Movie Review Time.

Ok....remember those reviews I promised you? Well...herrrreee we go.

1. On X-Men Origins: Wolverine. What a grave disappointment. I had such high hopes. X Man 1...was like a failed first attempt. I was just happy to be alive and see the Xmen franchise come to fruition. X-Man 2 was ridiculously awesome. First 10 minutes had me drueling in my seat. But unfortunatly...it met it's tipping point. Just when I was getting use to accepting Halle (Hot as Hell, wanna be my baby momma) Berry as a plausible Storm, X-men 3 was far from acceptable for being the "last" movie. I will not expose how much of a Marvel geek I am/was, but lets just say that I had been awaiting the movie franchize like a moth awaits a flame burning by the fire. But this movie was more like a moth awaiting a porch bug zapper in the deep south. It sucked me in. It made me want it. It mesmerized me with cool commercials and flashy scenes and talks of a Gambit (possibly the coolest mutant charachter every made) appearance. And Gambit did not dissappoint. All 10 minutes of him was almost worth $5 of the $12.50 I paid to get in the movie. The rest of my money... I knew it was gone, after seeing Wolverine's metal claws for the first time in the movie. At that exact moment I thought to myself...."Are they Fucking Kidding Me." It's 2009 and his gaddamn claws looked like a cross between Space Jam, Spong Bob and someting my 3 year old nephew would make using twigs and his snot as glue. In the end however...I do not regret seeing it. Cause I am a official, unofficial fan boy. But I do regret seeing it on opening weekend (breaking my movie viewing vows.)


2. On the new Star Trek. I almost didn't see it. Yes, I'm into dragons, magic, ninjas, vampires, period pieces and zombies...but when you start talking intergalactic sci-fi drama, you loose me. But I had to see it, cause I'm that type of person. I also was desperately trying to wash away the disappointment that was Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. And boy, oh boy did this movie deliver. I was a little iffy at first seeing as how they seemed to just recruit any and every young budding (and not so budding) actor/acctress known to man. I felt like if it were the 90s I would've definitely seen Usher as a troubled inner city youth. But after a brief game of what where they in, I forgot all about their pasts (cutting off people's heads and stealing their powers/going to White Castle/running from Zombies/getting killed by Justin Timberlake/becoming Prima Balerina at Julliard and dating Ashton Kutcher...) and fell into the film completely. It is definitely the summer blockbuster. Think Iron Man. It was that enjoyable. I mean, I obviously missed a few trekky references, which I knew I missed only because the audience laughed and I didnt. Yes, I laughed with the audience. And that's something I dont do (because generally speaking, I think movie theater audiences suffer from a mild case of retardation). 

But the movie was that good. I gained alot of respect back for J.J. Abrams. It made me wonder when the second one was going to drop. Pure entertainment. Well made. Appropriate lack of "deepness." I think I may see it again. Oh...the only flaw...Tyler Perry has a cameo, which leads me to believe that in the second movie I will see Madea (Medea in: Medea Goes to Space). Whap whap. 

Oh yeah...and this movie also ignited a new flame. ew Crush Alert!

3 comments:

Cas Ruffin said...

That's a whole lot of movies you referenced when mentioning their pasts.

shaun. said...

thanks, i try.

kiss my black ads said...

the trek flick was s-s-s-s-s-s-sick!!! I love the corny campy original series (though admittedly not a true trekkie) and the movie for me was better! JJ was dyn-o-mite!