11.15.2007

That Shuffle Love.

Today, I caught Theo giving some unrequited glances at a stranger this morning. And I am not hating. I am also not judging. It was the morning and I have indeed experienced a fair amount of "train glaring." Getting caught in the act. And receiving it. From my point of view, it is non-denominational....girls and guys alike, I sometimes admire a neatly pressed button down or a pair of slacks and thier fit. Sometimes its a girl frantically putting on make-up on a packed train. And then, as if a universal truth has been realized, in a glance...a simple shift of the eyes, you are drawn back into your own shyness...as if you had just stolen cookies from the cookie jar. Or, as you feel the empty weight of an ominous stare, an invisible hand guides you to its source just in time for them to look away...as if they weren't caught.

And so today, I caught Theo dead in the act. Cheating on me with his nano eyes. Sure...he is sleek and attractive. New to town and bold, and it is only natural for him to come out of his shell (figuratively). And I was ok with it. Until I saw the object of his affection...a high gig holding monstrosity circa late 90's. It was covered in an atrocious pink leather jacket...more obscene than attractive. Hideous even. So then I had to yoke him up. Reminded him that this is America and not a Chinese commonwealth of the feudal ages. There are standards of attraction...and the first one is...stay in your range.

Kids these days.

No comments: